Welcome!

Welcome to Allergy Free & Cheap Like Me!

gluten, dairy, egg & soy free

I’m so happy you are here! I hope to create a place for you to find lots of information about food allergies, as well as, lots of goodies to help you not only eat better, but more affordably! Please feel free to share all of your own tips, tricks, and recipes too! Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you again very soon! You can read more about my allergy story here.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

HAWMC Day 12, Stream of Consciousness Day

Today's challenge topic is, Stream of Consciousness Day; We challenge you, start with this phrase: “Today I looked in the mirror and…” (Or another sentence you come across.) But be sure to – Keep writing. Don’t stop for 15 minutes. Don’t edit. Post. Go!

Here is my stream of consciousness post for today...

“Today I looked in the mirror and…”

Today I looked in the mirror and I see the reflection of myself holding my daughter, she is wearing a navy blue and white polka-dot headband with a navy blue and white striped dress and navy blue leggings. My husband is in the background telling me, "Polka-dots don't go with stripes, even I know that!" But I think it looks pretty darn cute and from the smile on my daughter's face as she looks in the mirror, so does she. We have just started our day: I am still in my pajamas, my husband has just got back from his morning run, and my daughter is the only one that is dressed and ready for the day; it's how most of our mornings start. I asked my daughter, "What should mommy and daddy have for breakfast this morning?" She just smiles back at me like I had just told her something funny. We go to the kitchen and I scan the fridge for something quick to make for breakfast. My husband chimes in he wants pancakes. I look at him and say, "Really? You don't like pancakes". He replies, "Yes I do, just not everyday." So I hand my daughter to him and start to make the syrup and pancakes. After breakfast is over it is time for my daughter's morning nap. We head into her room and sit down to read a book; her new favorite is a touch and feel puppy book {that we apparently stole from my parents house over Easter weekend, (mom and dad - if you are reading this, I'll bring it back next time we are up!)} She starts to get fussy and we finish up the book. We sing a few songs, 'BINGO' and 'Where is Thumb-kin,' and she drifts off to sleep. Now my husband and I can start to get ready for our day. As I look in the mirror before I hop in the shower, I see my reflection, a happy (maybe a bit tired looking) mom, who can't wait to see what the day will bring.

If you are curious here is the recipe for my gluten-fee, egg free, dairy free pancakes I made for breakfast this morning!

G-Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free Pancakes
by Allergy Free and Cheap Like Me
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 5 mins
Keywords: breakfast gluten-free vegan soy-free



Ingredients:

2 1/3 cups gluten-free flour mix*
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk (I used rice milk)
3 tablespoons butter, melted or  oil (I used earth balance the red soy-free one) 
2 eggs, (6 tablespoons warm water and 2 tablespoons ground flax seed mixed together)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla    

*The gluten-free flour mix I used for this recipe is:
2 cups Brown Rice Flour
1/3 cup Tapioca Starch (also called Tapioca Flour)
2/3 cup Potato Starch (NOT flour)
—>Mix well in large plastic container and store in cool place or fridge.

How to Make It:
  • Combine the first four ingredients in a large mixing bowl and give it a few whisks. 
  • Mix up the warm water and flax to make a gel, let sit. 
  • Add the milk, butter, and vanilla to the dry ingredient mixture and whisk again. (I wasn't patient enough to wait for the butter to melt so I just added it cold, but it would mix better if it was at least soft)
  • Pour the flax gel into the mixture and stir until the ingredients are combined.  Stir the batter until all of the flour is mixed in. This should just take a few seconds – there will still be lumps in the batter and that is okay. 
  • Put the batter aside while you heat up the griddle.
  • Put some oil (I use grapeseed) on your griddle or non-stick skillet and heat on medium. 
  • Once the skillet is warm using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, dip the batter out of the bowl and pour onto your skillet.
  • Let the pancakes cook and do not touch them until you see bubbles popping in the middle of the pancakes.
  • Now, flip the pancakes. They will only cook for a minute or two on the second side, and you can use your spatula to peek and see if they are as brown as you want them.
  • Put a tiny bit more oil on your skillet and repeat the cooking process
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...