Welcome!

Welcome to Allergy Free & Cheap Like Me!

gluten, dairy, egg & soy free

I’m so happy you are here! I hope to create a place for you to find lots of information about food allergies, as well as, lots of goodies to help you not only eat better, but more affordably! Please feel free to share all of your own tips, tricks, and recipes too! Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you again very soon! You can read more about my allergy story here.

Friday, April 13, 2012

HAWMC Day 13, 10 Things I Couldn't Live Without


Today's challenge topic is, 10 Things I Couldn't Live Without; Write a list of the 10 things you need (or love) most.  

Over the past couple of years I have learned I can live without a lot of things that most people (myself included) might deem "essential". Living in a 'dry' cabin in Alaska has taught me, sometimes even when you think things are essential they actually may not be. For those of you who are unfamiliar, a 'dry' cabin is a cabin without running water which means, no sinks, no shower, no flushing toilet, no dishwasher, no washer and dryer; nothing that requires running water to function. Yes, I'll admit at times the inconvenience of having to haul our own water, boil our water to hand wash our dishes, and shower at public showers was sometimes more than a minor annoyance. But most of the time I didn't give it a second thought, it became just a way of life. The whole experience as a whole helped me realize I don't need many material things; honestly I am happier without most of them. I've found the things that I value most in my life weren't necessarily things at all. Thus, the things in my list are more things that I love that I feel improve the quality of my life.

My List:
  1. My family; This covers my immediate family to my extended family and friends. I can't imagine going through life alone.
  2. Good food (including a good glass {or two} of wine). 
  3. Nature; Flowers, trees, animals, insects. What a dreary world it would be without nature and all of mother earth's spectacular wonders.
  4. A good book; My husband and I have a bit of an addiction to our public library. Every time we go we come home with a huge stack of books. We like to read. Since we don't have a TV, we read a lot.
  5. Music; Music can be physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual all at the same time. Music helps improve health. It's used to improve memory, reduce stress, support exercise, help with concentration, lower blood pressure, reduce pain and anxiety, etc.; the list of benefits is endless. It's a wonderful thing!
  6. Love; The word love has a variety of different meanings to everyone. Love represents human kindness, affection, and compassion. Without love what is the point of life?
  7. Laughter; Laughter produces endorphins. Endorphins make us happy, can reduce stress, and relieve pain.  Laughing boosts the number of antibody producing cells in our bodies, which leads to a stronger immune system.  
  8. Hope; Without hope there is despair. I'd rather live in a world full of hope rather than despair.
  9. Health; Our overall mental, physical, social, financial, and spiritual health affect everything we can and want to do in life. Maintaining good health in all aspects (not just handling our food allergies) often has benefits that each us can reap immediately and well in the future.
  10. Some bad days and occasional rough times; Without them, we would not appreciate all the things I listed above quite as much. Plus, I truly believe that without some stumbles along the way we wouldn't learn, grow, and feel confident that we can push ourselves toward new adventures.

What are the 10 things you couldn't live without?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...