Welcome!

Welcome to Allergy Free & Cheap Like Me!

gluten, dairy, egg & soy free

I’m so happy you are here! I hope to create a place for you to find lots of information about food allergies, as well as, lots of goodies to help you not only eat better, but more affordably! Please feel free to share all of your own tips, tricks, and recipes too! Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you again very soon! You can read more about my allergy story here.

Saturday, April 28, 2012

HAWMC Day 28, The First Time I...

Day 28 of the WEGO Health Activists Writers Month Challenge (HAWMC). I'm almost there, 2 more days! I can't believe I've made it this far and I haven't used any of my get out of posting free days. I hope you have enjoyed some of the topics along the way. Today's challenge topic is, The First Time I… ; Write a post about the first time you did something. What is it? What was it like? What did you learn from it? 

We do a lot of firsts throughout our life and sometimes (or it seems like most of the time in my case) they don't turn out the way we expect them to. Good, bad, or just a little weird, it doesn't matter, that is how most of us learn. Today I am going to write about the first time I made gluten, dairy, and egg-free bread. 

Let me preface my story by saying, it was a complete and utter disaster! I had found a yummy sounding recipe online from where I don't even remember now. I'm sure there was nothing wrong with the recipe, but rather how I attempted going about making it. I do remember the recipe used gluten-free flours and starches, but was full of eggs and dairy so I had to figure out how to substitute those on my own. The dairy probably wasn't the issue, it was probably more of my egg substitution and my baking skills (or lack there of). I've learned since this experience that when baking with gluten-free flours you have to be exact when measuring things out. I didn't know this key information then and knowing me, I just eye-balled it and threw it all together because that is how I like to cook. 

Anyway, back to the baking… I followed the directions exactly or so I thought, made my substitutions for the dairy and eggs, dumped it all in a bread pan, popped it in the oven, and walked away. I remember thinking to myself as I walked out of the kitchen, this is "easy peasey". I can do this! What's all the hoopla about? 60 minutes later the timer went off and I went to check on my creation. What I saw I was not entirely prepared for. My bread, if that is what you want to call it, had turned into some sort of alien mass. It was roughly half the height of the bread pan and looked to be the consistency of jello at best. I tapped it like the recipe instructed me to in order to check if it sounded hollow (whatever that meant) and was surprised to find out it was indeed solid, very solid. Since I didn't know what hollow bread was supposed to sound like I decided it was done. I took it out of the oven and set it on the counter to cool. Half an hour later I couldn't take the anticipation and suspense any longer and I decided it was cool enough. I popped, or pried is probably a better description, it out of the pan and cut into it. The bottom half (all of about 2 inches) of the loaf was not done, that much I could tell by just looking at it; it was gooey and kind of soggy. The top half was dry and crumbly and fell off the bottom half as soon as I picked it up. I forced myself to taste it, for lack of better words, it was just plain gross. It was dry, crumbly, grainy, gooey, and hard all at the same time. I couldn't even eat it, I took a few bites and decided it wasn't worth it. 

I'm not going to lie, this wasn't the last time I made a loaf of bread similar to this, but because it turned out not as expected I was able learn a few things along the way. I take this first time experience with me and put it will all the rest and as I look back on all of them I can't help but shake my head and laugh.

Have you learned from your first time experiences? What is one you look back on fondly?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...