3 tablespoons gluten free flour (I used sorghum)
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
1 cup white wine
2 cups GF chicken broth (I use Pacific Natural Foods, check out the link for a coupon!)
juice of half a lemon
1 jar capers, drained and rinsed
1 jar pitted kalimata olives, drained
1 can artichoke hearts
1/2 pound of gluten free penne
Vegan cheese (I used Daiya mozzarella style) - optional-it's very good without.
Gluten Free breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cut the chicken, about 2 large breasts, into 2 x 1/2 inch strips.
- In a small bowl combine, flour, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Coat the chicken strips in flour mixture.
- Pour the grapeseed oil in a deep, heavy frying pan and heat over medium high heat. Working in batches fry the chicken until fully cooked and browned on both sides. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with a cup of white wine scraping up all the browned bits. Reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer until it is reduced by about a third. Add the juice from 1/2 lemon and season with salt and pepper.
- While the sauce is reducing, make the penne. Boil it a few minutes short of being done (so if it is supposed to boil for 9 minutes reduce the time to 6 minutes). Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the penne to the sauce and mix. Add the artichokes (cut into quarters). Simmer, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. If the sauce boils down add some of the pasta water about ¼ cup at a time to keep things moist. Add the chicken pieces and heat another minute.
- Pour the mixture into a large ovenproof serving dish.
- Stir in the drained olives and capers.
- Sprinkle the pasta with a few tablespoons of vegan cheese.
- Top with the gluten free breadcrumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Place under the broiler for a few minutes until the top is golden brown.
**To make gluten free breadcrumbs at home, cut a few slices of gluten free bread into small pieces. Drizzle with olive oil and seasoning of choice, then fry the bread in a pan or place in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes until toasted!