Welcome!

Welcome to Allergy Free & Cheap Like Me!

gluten, dairy, egg & soy free

I’m so happy you are here! I hope to create a place for you to find lots of information about food allergies, as well as, lots of goodies to help you not only eat better, but more affordably! Please feel free to share all of your own tips, tricks, and recipes too! Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you again very soon! You can read more about my allergy story here.

Monday, April 9, 2012

HAWMC Day 9, Keep Calm and Carry On


Today's topic for the challenge is; Keep calm and carry on. Write (and create) your own Keep Calm and Carry On poster. Can you make it about your condition? Then go to (http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/) and actually make an image to post to your blog.

I had a lot of fun with today's topic. Once I got going I couldn't stop coming up with them! The "Keep Calm and Carry On" morale boosting posters were originally commissioned by the British government in 1939 during the beginning of World War II. The originals were destroyed in 1945 and rediscovered in 2000. Now part of pubic domain, parodies of the posters have sprung up everywhere. If you want to learn more about the Keep Calm and Carry on poster campaign check out this article.

Here is the "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster I came up with.

Stress Less and Live More

This can be taken in a number of ways. Literally - if we stress less, we will live longer. When you get stressed out, a cascade of hormones are released. The most well known include the following: adrenaline, which can cause skipped heartbeat and raised blood pressure; cortisol, which leads to putting on unhealthy belly fat and suppresses immunity; and aldosterone, which causes the body to hold on to water, raising blood pressure. Stress damages the immune system and the heart. Therefore if we can learn to stress less, we will live a longer life. 

Those with allergies also know that sometimes its easier and less stressful to not do things; go out to eat with friends, say "no" to the dinner party, or skip that work/school function. You don't want to have to worry whether there is going to be something you can eat and if it is going to be safe. You don't want to be impolite, make anyone feel bad or make special arrangements just for you. We have all been there and often times we feel it's easier to just stay home. But when we opt out we are really opting out on life. We are missing the moments that matter, the moments with friends and family. Too many times too much focus goes on the food and everything we can't eat on the menu instead of the environment, experience, and memories with friends and loved ones that surround the food. I'm not saying to throw caution to the wind and eat whatever or stop doing your homework about restaurants, just stress less about the food and remember to enjoy the experience. So remember that when you stress less, you live a bit longer! 

These are a few others I came up with.
                                          



















Keep Calm, Embrace the Journey
Make it Easy, Get Educated
Start Today, Live Tomorrow
Change Now, Live Better

What would your Keep Calm and Carry On poster say?


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey. I just started my own and found your site in search of gluten-free, egg free, soy free tortillas. Today I began a journal on my laptop and going to write it out soon. I'm currently avoiding all my allergens to try and weather out a severe eczema outbreak. Perhaps the hardest thing is feeling stressed over the many foods I can't eat but it's people like you that make me smile "Stress Less and Live More" and keep me uplifted despite the many changes I'm about to embark. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marian, thank you so much for such kind words. I am so happy I can help give inspiration and support, that is why I started writing about my allergy journey. It is people like you that that keep me going! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to support you on your journey. It can be overwhelming at times but knowing you are not alone has always helped me get though tough days,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...