Welcome!

Welcome to Allergy Free & Cheap Like Me!

gluten, dairy, egg & soy free

I’m so happy you are here! I hope to create a place for you to find lots of information about food allergies, as well as, lots of goodies to help you not only eat better, but more affordably! Please feel free to share all of your own tips, tricks, and recipes too! Thank you for stopping by and I hope to see you again very soon! You can read more about my allergy story here.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Old Wives' Tales

I was recently in Portland, Oregon and stopped by Old Wives’ Tales for lunch. Old Wives’ Tales is a popular restaurant in Portland that just happens to be 90-percent gluten free!  Not only are their items gluten free, but many are also dairy and soy-free as well... oh ya, and vegan friendly!  There are so many choices to choose from. The servers are very helpful at figuring out what is in everything to make sure it is safe for you!  I had the Greek Melt. It’s an open-faced sandwich with feta, fresh tomato, mushrooms, sweet peppers, onion, artichoke hearts, Greek olives, and Greek herbs. Instead of the feta cheese, I substituted Daiya cheese instead!  There is a delicious gluten-free bread option for all of their sandwiches. The bread is made by Kinnikinnick Foods.*    The sandwich was so yummy! I couldn’t resist getting one of their desserts while I was there. I got the gluten-free coconut, almond brownie with a scoop of Coconut Bliss-Chocolate Hazelnut ice cream! Delicious! If you are ever in the Portland, Oregon area, stop by Old Wives’ Tales; I promise you won’t be disappointed!


***  Disclaimer, I do believe, after looking into it, the bread by Kinnikinnick Foods does contain eggs. So if you are egg intolerant, it may not be an option for you. Check it out for yourself at http://consumer.kinnikinnick.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.home/productcategoryid/1#

Old Wives’ Tales
1300 East Burnside, Portland, OR 97214, 503-238-0470

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...